January 18, 2010
This morning I was awoken at 4am to men shouting for “All residents must get out now!”. It was really scary, and I didn't know what was going on, but I left my room to join all of the other residents outside. The reason why we were outside? There was an Earth tremor warning for all of Ghana, apparently all over the radio stations. Eventually we found out that it was a hoax for all of Ghana, (um, duh, there are no such things as warnings for earthquakes!) but lots of people all over the country were freaking out about it. In the morning we still had no electricity, so I had another shower from a bucket. For breakfast that morning I ate my first mango from the market right by our hostel, and it was really good.
Today was the start of registration, so I went with my friends Amanda, Rachael, Heather, Taylor, and Evan to go register for classes. Classes actually start today, but it's really laid back, and most are still registering, so they don't go to class until next week. We had our last orientation session, and were told about some volunteer opportunities we could get involved in. A student that was involved with ISEP last semester and then decided to study for one more semester works with children at a village nearby. She brought some children with her, and I got to hold one of them -about 2 years, and then a boy came over who was 4 and hugged me. It was such a beautiful moment! These children have parents, but they cannot afford school, so they go to one run by Renee and a man named Kwami from the village. I had my first pineapple today, and it was amazing! The water came back on this afternoon when I was gone, but it was not on when I came back. My roomie is still not here, but more stuff is appearing.

No comments:
Post a Comment