Today I went to a Liberian refugee camp with a bunch of American students. We had to take multiple tro tros to get there, and when we got there we were met by a man that helps there who took us for a tour around the camp. We saw a big market place, and some of their houses.

The UN is supposedly helping them, but they have to pay for their own clean water, and even to just use the bathroom. They have a school program that just started, and girls are learning to use sewing machines to make big purses and change purses that they sell to get money to afford schooling. While I was there I met a boy that had lived there for 15 years, and had his dad and brothers die in the war. I also got to hold a baby that was being held by her 4 year old brother.

As we were leaving, I saw a small boy with a marching band tshirt from the United States, and I am not really sure how he got it. Also, the children there were really happy when they saw we had cameras!

I had my first water sachet today, which is a plastic bag full of water. I have only been drinking bottled water here, but water sachets are much cheaper, but they have caused some problems with international students in the past since they are not used to that kind of water. I really hope I don't get sick from it!
They managed to get us one tro tro to take us back the entire way, and Ghana was playing a soccer game while we were driving. When they scored a goal, everyone on the road started to honk their horns, and it was really cool to experience that kind of country unity. They ended up winning the game, so they get to continue playing for the African Cup of nations!
When we got back, I met some of Doreen's friends, and then she and I helped her cousin Dela move into his dorm right next to ours.

No comments:
Post a Comment