The Beach!

January 23, 2010

Today I went to the beach again with Rachael, Heather, Judith, Paula, Lindy, Carly, and Mitch. We went by tro tro this time, though, because Mitch knew where to go. This time we went swimming, and the water was really warm! The waves were pretty big, and really powerful sometimes. I brought some fresh pineapple, and it was great to eat it on the beach! We only got bothered by a couple sellers, and Paula and Judith rode horsed along the beach! When we were leaving the beach, this man comes to us and gets in our group picture.



We were fine with that until he starts asking Judith to marry her, and he was serious. When she kept repeatedly saying no, the guy asked Mitch if he could have "just one of us". So, we now tease Mitch that he is our pimp, but we are glad that he didn't give one of us away!

At night I talked with Paula about how Africa is not so different than the United States- Both have poor people, and some that are doing fairly ok. They may not have the same technology or high class things that the United States/Canada has, but this is their way of life at the moment. Market places that may seem worse than supermarkets might work better, with having fresh food instead of preservatives, and people buying from others so everyone can make money. I still haven't seen a starving person in Africa, like the US tv comericals make it seem like all of Africa is. I know that there are some that do need help, but there are definitely others that are doing fine by themselves.

I also got to talk with my Nigerian friend Jennifer about the differences between Nigeria and Ghana, like the pace of life, and the different accents.

1 comment:

  1. So I read the part about your friend's "proposal" and I just went "OH MY GOSH!!!" really loudly lol. WOW what a culture difference, eh? Do they like ask to marry someone with the same kind of thought process as when we think, hey, he's kinda hott, and seems nice, wonder if he'll date me? Or is it totally different?

    Emily (Grove in case there's another Emily following this blog...)

    ReplyDelete