January 11, 2010
Hello from London!
It's already been crazy, and I'm not even there yet! I left from Detroit at 8pm on an earlier plane than I had originally booked, along with 11 adults also going to Ghana for a mission trip. They were all wearing bright green shirts, so it was very easy to spot them in the airport! I had lots of time at the Chicago airport, due to the heating unit on the plane being broken. While at the airport, I was wearing my Central Michigan University tshirt, and some guy came up to me telling me how great our GMAC bowl game was, and he was surprised to find out that I was there to witness our amazing double overtime win! I also met another girl, Kate, going to the University of Ghana as well! So, the plane left 2 hours later than planned, but I was just glad that the flight left, since many other members of my study abroad program could not get a flight out of the US to London due to snow in London.
Sitting across from me on the plane was another student, Sam, that was going to Ghana in the same program, and we became fast friends at the London airport as we tried to get to our next flight in 30 minutes. It wouldn't have been that bad, but we had to catch a bus to get to our new gate, go through security (with police with big guns!, and then an elevator ride to finally reach the bus that would take us to our plane! Sam had to get his ticket, and then they would not let him through, but they finally did when 8 of the bright green shirt brigade were behind him, also trying to get on the same plane.
It still has not hit me fully that I am going to Ghana. Even after a wonderful surprise bon voyage/early birthday party, and saying goodbye to my family, friends, and boyfriend. It's starting to now, but I don't think it will until I step foot in Ghana. My dream is to work at an orphanage, so I will be volunteering at one nearby. I can't wait until I hold a baby in my arms-I have been waiting for that for years!
I love you all, and miss you all tons! Thanks so much for all the prayers and good thoughts coming my way. I really appreciate all of you joining my facebook group, and wanting to know what's going on in my life!

No comments:
Post a Comment